May 25, 2019
Barry 4, Lynn 2
Altamonte Springs, Fla. – Lynn University’s women’s tennis team battled until the end, but fell in the NCAA National Championship, 4-2, on Saturday to fellow-Sunshine State Conference (SSC) member Barry University.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Barry 4, Lynn 2
Records: #1 Lynn (27-1), #2 Barry (26-2)
Location: Sanlando Park | Altamonte Springs, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 44-21
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· Leolia Jeanjean and Ulyana Grib overpowered their opponents from Barry at No. 1 doubles, winning 6-0.
· After a Blue and White loss at No. 2 doubles, the doubles point came down to a back-and-forth affair between Eleonora Liga and Giorgia Pigato and their Buccaneer foes, but the Italian duo ultimately was defeated in a tiebreak, 7-5.
· Playing at No. 1 singles, Jeanjean was the first Fighting Knight to post a win, notching a 6-1, 6-3 result over Barry’s Carolin Schmidt.
· Pigato also secured a win at No. 6 singles with a 6-4, 6-2 triumph.
· Barry notched its final three points after taking doubles with singles wins at Nos. 2, 3 and 5.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
· For the first time, all 16 teams at the NCAA National Championships received a seed coming into the tournament. Lynn is the No. 3 seed and Barry is the No. 1 seed.
· The Blue and White defeated Nova Southeastern last week to win the South Region II bracket, clinching the team’s 20th appearance at the NCAA National Championships in the past 23 years.
· Lynn has won the NCAA National Championship three times with seven runner-up finishes.
· Between both programs, head coach Mike Perez made his 15th finals appearance in his 30-year tenure.
· The Bucs exacted their revenge after Lynn defeated them 5-2 on March 26 in Miami Shores.
· Jeanjean improves to 29-0 in doubles action this season. Her 29 doubles victories are the most-ever in a season in program history.
Assistant Director for Athletic Communications
(XC/TRACK, WSOC, WBB, BASE)
3601 North Military Trail
Boca Raton, FL 33431