BIRMINGHAM, ALA. – The Florida Atlantic University track & field team finished the 2021 Conference USA Indoor Track & Field Championships in seventh place. The Owls’ 40 points scored marks the highest point total and finish for the Owls’ at a C-USA Championship since belonging in the league for the past eight years. Jessica Lambert earned the gold medal in the 800 meters, while Anaiis Scheeres captured the silver in the high jump.
COACH SMOLKA’S TAKE
“I’m so proud of our group of student-athletes,” said head coach Alex Smolka. “They stepped up and performed for each other in a massive way! As a team, we competed in 13 out of 17 events. We scored in nine of those events! Everyone who scored points for us has at least another year of eligibility remaining! The future looks really bright.”
On the Final Finish:
“This was a great team performance! We had our best conference champs since joining C-USA, and we are just getting started! Our team showed true grit and fought like Owls hunting for prey!”
- Lambert tallied the gold medal in the 800 meter with a time of 2:11.98. The time is the fourth fastest mark in school history. Originally, Lambert was awarded the silver, but upgraded to the gold after Middle Tennessee’s top runner committed a violation
- Scheeres captured the silver medal in the high jump (1.69), breaking a school record in the process. This was Scheeres’ first time competing high jump since May 2019 when she was in high school
- Marisha Thompson finished the mile in 5:06.83 for seventh place. She later registered seventh in the 800 meter (2:25.07)
- Cara Simpson gathered fifth in the 200 meter dash in 24.73 marking the 10th best time in school history. She also placed sixth in the 60m dash (7.70)
- In the 3000 meters, Madlen Kappeler tallied seventh (10.02.37), while Paige Saiz followed in 14th (10:20.44)
- Ameion Hamlet led the way in the triple jump with a 14th-place finish. Her mark of 11.43m is the fifth best in school history
- The 4×400 meter relay team just missed the podium stand with a fourth-place showing. Lambert, Simpson, Madison King and Roshelle Francois got the job done in 3:52.00
The Owls will gear up for outdoor season set to commence on March 19-20 at the Hurricane Invitational at Miami.
OWLS ON SOCIAL MEDIA
For complete coverage of FAU cross country and track & field, follow us on Twitter (@FAUXCTF), Instagram (@FAUXCTF) and Facebook (FAU XC/Track & Field).