March 8, 2019
Florida Southern 5, Lynn 2
Contact: Chad M. Beattie (561) 237-7341, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lynn Softball Rattled by Mocs
Lakeland, Fla. – Lynn University’s softball team was tripped up in its series opener, 5-2, against Florida Southern on Friday night. Shayle Arenson led the offense with a pair of hits while Kayla Sheffield logged her third consecutive complete game.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Florida Southern 5, Lynn 2
Records: Lynn (11-16, 2-5 SSC); Florida Southern (8-8, 4-6 SSC)
Location: Chris Bellotto Field | Lakeland, Fla.
Series History: Lynn trails 48-18-1 all-time (Lost two of three games last season)
Get Social: Twitter – @Lynn_Knights | Instagram – @Lynn_Knights | Facebook – /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
· Florida Southern did all of its damage in the opening frame, scoring five runs on three hits while capitalizing on two walks and a wild pitch.
· Lynn held the Moccasins scoreless the remaining five innings while scoring runs in the second and seventh.
· Sheffield fanned six in six innings while allowing five runs on five hits.
· Arenson was 2-for-3 at the plate with one run scored.
· Elizabeth Diaz and Grace Hastings-Wydetic drove in runs for the Blue and White.
· Mia Veliz swiped a base.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
· Veliz stole her 14th base of the year, tying her for the second-most in program history for a single season. She is two behind Danielle McNeill’s program-best total set in 2014.
· Sheffield struck out four or more batters in back-to-back games for the first time in her career.
· Arenson is now second on the team with 13 runs scored.
· Sheffield’s complete game is the ninth of the season, setting a new career-high.
Lynn closes out the three-game series with a noon doubleheader on Saturday, March 9. Cans can watch the game live at LynnFightingKnights.com.
Assistant Athletics Director for Communications and Digital Strategy
(o) (561) 237-7341
(c) (561) 414-9660