March 2, 2019
Bellarmine 4, Lynn 3
King 11, Lynn 2 (5 innings)
Contact: Chad M. Beattie (561) 237-7341, email@example.com
Lynn Softball Heads Home from Cougar Classic
Columbus, Ga. – Lynn University’s softball team finished its non-conference road schedule at the Cougar Classic with losses to Bellarmine and King on Saturday afternoon. The Fighting Knights return home on Tuesday, March 5, for a Sunshine State Conference series against Barry.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Game 1- Bellarmine 4, Lynn 3; Game 2 – King 11, Lynn 1 (5 innings)
Records: Lynn (9-14), Bellarmine (7-7), King (7-0)
Location: Cougar Field | Columbus State
Series History: Lynn leads Bellarmine 2-1 all-time (last played in 2010); First meeting vs. King
Get Social: Twitter – @Lynn_Knights | Instagram – @Lynn_Knights | Facebook – /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
· Game 1
o Three members of the Blue and White collected multi-hit games: Mia Veliz was 2-for-3 with a walk; Natalie Costero was 2-for-4 with a pair of runs and Shannon Johnson was 2-for-3.
o Makayla Caballero went 1-for-2 with a home run and two runs batted in.
o Allyson Jameston (3-7) allowed four runs on five hits with three strikeouts and one walks.
o Olivia Saviskas tossed 0.2 innings of relief.
o Britney Purser drove in one run while going 1-for-2 at the plate.
o Kayla Sheffield walked twice.
· Game 2
o King scored runs in all five innings, including three in the final frame.
o Lynn’s lone run came in the third inning on a fielding error by the Tornados.
o All three pitchers for the Blue and White saw action in the game with Kayla Sheffield (5-6) and Saviskas each allowing four runs before Jameston came into finish the game allowing three runs on three hits in the final 1.2 innings.
o Veliz had the lone hit of the game for the Fighting Knights.
o Purser, Wyatt and Arenson all walked.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
· Caballero’s homerun was her first extra-base-hit of the season. She joins Sheffield and Johnson as the only players with a long ball this season.
· Lynn only attempted one stolen base in the tournament. They have gone six games without a successful stolen base, the longest skid this season.
· Veliz was caught stealing for the first time this season. She is three stolen bases away from tying the single-season program record (16).
· The Blue and White had zero strikeouts at the plate for just the second time this season (Feb. 8).
· The 16 at-bats in game two mark a season low for the Fighting Knights.
· Lynn’s squad has had three or more walks in 12 out of their 23 games this season.
· Sheffield leads the SSC in walks (16).
The Blue and White return back home for SSC play on Mar. 5, for a mid-week series vs. Barry. Game one is slated for 3 p.m., fans can watch the action live on the Lynn Sports Network.
Assistant Athletic Director for Communications & Digital Strategy
3601 North Military Trail
Boca Raton, FL 33431
T: +1 561-237-7341
M: +1 561-414-9660 (c)
+1 561-237-7000 | lynn.edu