Orlando, Fla. – Helen Kreuzer lost in a one-hole playoff to finish as the individual runner-up and the Lynn University women’s golf team tied for fifth on a rain-filled final day at the Hatter Classic. Kreuzer collects her second consecutive top-two finish of the season while Matilda Wahren earned a place in the top-10.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standings: T-5th out of 9 teams
Location: Alaqua Country Club | Orlando, Fla.
Par / Yardage: 72 / 6,016
History at Event: Second appearance (T-10th in 1999)
Get Social: Twitter – @Lynn_Knights | Instagram – @Lynn_Knights | Facebook – /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· Lynn improved three shots from the previous round for a 298 total, tying with Navy (599) for fifth. Host Stetson took top honors after winning on the second playoff hole against Barry (592). SCAD-Savannah (595) and Daytona State College (597) finished third and fourth.
· Kreuzer was one of only four golfers to shoot under par on the day, ending the afternoon with a one-under 71. She shot an even par 144 over the 36-hole event but lost to Symone Henriques of Daytona State College following a birdie from Henriques on the first playoff hole. Kreuzer’s only blemish was a double bogey on her fifth hole despite her three birdies.
· Matilda Wahren nearly matched her teammate, shooting an even par 72 to sneak into a tie for 10th. She sank 14 pars, two birdies and two bogeys. She finished with a 149.
· Freshman Honor Keilty posted a four-over 76, complete with 12 pars, a birdie and five bogeys, and ended play with a 158.
· Amber Lee Svendsen shot 79 for a 153 and Camila Ugalde Garcia added a 160, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
· Four members of the Fighting Knights roster (Monica Abiwardani, Honor Keilty, Serena Nguyen and Ugalde Garcia) were not born when Lynn last played at the Hatter Classic.
· Kreuzer earned her 13th career top-10 finish while it was Wahren’s seventh.
· Kreuzer has finished first or second in four of her last six tournaments.
· Keilty’s second round 76 is a new personal-best, topping her previous mark by four strokes.
· Svendsen and Wahren each set new 36-hole best totals.
The Fighting Knights are back on the links Monday, Oct. 14, at the Jupiter Women’s Invitational at Jonathans Landing Country Club in Jupiter, Fla. Check out LynnFightingKnights.com for more information.