BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Florida Atlantic University women’s soccer team battled to a 1-1 draw against UTSA in Conference USA action on Thursday night. The Owls dipped to 5-3-3, while the Roadrunners now stand at 6-2-2.
Thelma Hermannsdottir tallied her first goal of the year in impressive fashion in the second half. Hermannsdottir took a right to left pass from Gi Krstec, and she buried it from 20 yards out to give the Owls a 1-0 lead. The goal was her fifth of her career.
The Roadrunners got the equalizer with less than four minutes remaining. Kiran Singh scored off an assist from Marlee Fray at the 86th minute to tie the match at 1-1.
QUOTES FROM THE OWLS
“We knew tonight was going to be tough,” head coach Patrick Baker said. “Derek (Pittman) has done a tremendous job at UTSA. We knew they were going to be tough, physical, and athletic. Like many of our games, we went to halftime 0-0. In the second half, Thelma scored a great goal, a wonder strike from the top of the box to put us up 1-0. We had the ball in the corner inside of four minutes, trying to work clock management and kill off the game. We then gave up the ball, made poor defensive decisions and allowed the equalizer. It’s a loss of two points to be honest. If you put yourself in this position, you should kill off the game and win. Full marks to Derek and his girls, they kept fighting and coming at us. They were looking for a moment of magic, and we gave them that opportunity. We now have to recover very quickly, both physically and mentally, and go play a very good UAB team on the road this weekend.”
- FAU controlled the game with a 12-7 edge in shots and a 4-1 lead in corner kicks
- FAU also held possession of the ball 60% of the match
- Krstec has now registered at least a point in each of the last four games. The Owl captain scored in three straight games leading up to tonight, and is second on the team with nine points this year
- Lexi Gonzalez registered three saves on the night, including a clutch stop at the end of the first half
- Kaylin Johnston paced the offensive efforts with three shots
FAU will travel to Birmingham to face UAB this Sunday, Sept. 25 for a 1 p.m. eastern time start.
FOLLOW FAU ON SOCIAL MEDIA
To stay up to date on all things FAU women’s soccer, follow the Owls on social media @FAUWSoccer.