MEDIA CONTACT: Jonathan Fraysure email@example.com
BOCA RATON, Fla. – (March 10, 2019) – For the second straight day, the Florida Atlantic University men’s tennis team shut out a visiting opponent, playing out the string in defeating VCU on Sunday, 7-0.
· FAU (11-7) again quickly gained the doubles point. No. 3 Kirac Bekisoglu and Thomas Guy were first in, with a 6-4 win
· Then, Jason Legall and Ignacio Garcia posted a win at No. 1, 7-5
· Garcia and Legall then recorded the first two singles wins: Garcia at at No. 5 (6-3, 6-4); Legall in the No. 1 pairing (6-1, 3-6, 6-1)
· Making it 4-0 to clinch the win was Alvaro Fernandez Horta. He topped his No. 6 foe, 6-4, 7-5
· Wrapping up the day with wins were No. 2 Bekisoglu (6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)), No. 4 Gabriel Sidney (0-6, 7-5, 6-3) and No. 3 Mehdi Laalej (7-6 (7-3), 1-6, 1-0 (11-9))
Head Coach Ricardo Gonzalez:
“Another great win for our team against a very good VCU team. The boys are really starting to compete well as a whole and gaining confidence in their games.”
FAU 7, VCU 0
1. Jason Legall/Ignacio Garcia (FAU) def. Javier Amantegui/Philip Mobius (VCUM) 7-5
2. Mehdi Laalej/Gabriel Sidney (FAU) vs. Inigo Torre Martin/Arvid Noren (VCUM) 5-4, unfinished
3. Kirac Bekisoglu/Thomas Guy (FAU) def. Rayane Stable/Inaki Rivero Crespo (VCUM) 6-4
1. Jason Legall (FAU) def. Arvid Noren (VCUM) 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
2. Kirac Bekisoglu (FAU) def. Rayane Stable (VCUM) 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Mehdi Laalej (FAU) def. Inigo Torre Martin (VCUM) 7-6 (7-3), 1-6, 1-0 (11-9)
4. Gabriel Sidney (FAU) def. Philip Mobius (VCUM) 0-6, 7-5, 6-3
5. Ignacio Garcia (FAU) def. Inaki Rivero Crespo (VCUM) 6-3, 6-4
6. Alvaro Fernandez Horta (FAU) def. Javier Amantegui (VCUM) 6-4, 7-5
The three-day weekend wraps up Monday, when the Owls host UNC Asheville for a high noon start at the FAU Tennis Complex.
– FAUSports.com –
Florida Atlantic University Athletics:
FAU Athletics is comprised of 21 intercollegiate teams involving 450 student-athletes that compete in baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, indoor and outdoor track, volleyball, beach volleyball, cheer and dance. The Owls are a NCAA Division I-A (FBS) institution and compete in Conference USA and the Coastal Collegiate Sports Association (CCSA) (beach volleyball, men’s swimming). The Owls have been playing football since 2001 and are a perfect 3-0 in bowl games, the most recent being a 50-3 victory over Akron in the 2017 Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl. The dance team finished its 2014 season No. 8, nationally. FAU cheer won a national championship in 2016.
About Florida Atlantic University:
Florida Atlantic University, established in 1961, officially opened its doors in 1964 as the fifth public university in Florida. Today, the University, with an annual economic impact of $6.3 billion, serves more than 30,000 undergraduate and graduate students at sites throughout its six county service region in southeast Florida. FAU’s world-class teaching and research faculty serves students through 10 colleges: the Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters, the College of Business, the College for Design and Social Inquiry, the College of Education, the College of Engineering and Computer Science, the Graduate College, the Harriet L. Wilkes Honors College, the Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine, the Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing and the Charles E. Schmidt College of Science. FAU is ranked as a High Research Activity institution by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. The University is placing special focus on the rapid development of critical areas that form the basis of its strategic plan: Healthy aging, biotech, coastal and marine issues, neuroscience, regenerative medicine, informatics, lifespan and the environment. These areas provide opportunities for faculty and students to build upon FAU’s existing strengths in research and scholarship. For more information, visit www.fau.edu.