April 15, 2019
Lynn Women’s Golf Tied-First Headed to Final Round of 2019 SSC Championships
DADE CITY, Fla. – Lynn University’s women’s golf team improved its score by seven strokes to move into a tie for first-place in the second round of the Sunshine State Conference (SSC) Women’s Golf Championships at Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club. Matilda Wahren shot her second-straight 71 and sits tied-second in the individual race.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: T-1st of 11 Teams
Location: Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club (South Course) | Dade City, Fla.
Par/Yardage: 72 / 6,065
History at Event: 21st consecutive appearance (won in 2014; 3rd last year)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn delivered another solid round, posting a 291, which is tied with Tampa for the second-best team performance in two rounds of competition. The Fighting Knights two-round total of 589 is tied with Barry for first-place headed into the final round after the Bucs shot a 290 on Monday. Along with Lynn and Barry, Tampa (591) and Nova Southeastern (593) are both firmly in contention to be the SSC Team Champion.
- Kristina Ortiz and Cristina Gutierrez joined Wahren as the trio of Fighting Knights to post even-par or better rounds on the day. Ortiz and Gutierrez both shot under-par on the back nine to finish with identical rounds of 72 (E).
- Helen Kreuzer shot an uncharacteristic four-over on the back nine, after going even on the first nine, to finish the day with a 76.
- Amber Lee Svendsen improved her day one score by three strokes on her way to a 77 (+5).
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Wahren (T2), Ortiz (T8) and Gutierrez (T8) are all within the top-10 scorers individually. Lynn is the only team in the field with three golfers inside the top-10.
- Lynn is the only team in the top-four in scoring average on par 3s (3.0), par 4s (4.32) and par 5s (4.9).
- Wahren and NSU’s Hanna Ahlander are the only two players in the tournament to post back-to-back under-par rounds.
- The top-four squads are separated by just four strokes.
- The Fighting Knights’ 25 birdies are tied with Saint Leo for the tournament lead.
- Wahren is just one off the individual lead (-3) headed into the final round.
- Gutierrez is tied for the lead in par 3 scoring, shooting an aggregate -2 through two rounds.
- Kreuzer and Wahren sit tied-fourth in the field with seven birdies each.
Lynn will take on the final round of the Sunshine State Championships Tuesday, April 15, at Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.